Lots of Things going on

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Music and Time

The power of a beat is that it can slow down or speed up time. Literally, I think. At least, one's perception of the passage of time alters. And that, considering we are imprisoned by our brains, means that time is literally altered. How else to explain a song's staying power in only a minute and a half, a minute and a half that can easily go by unnoticed otherwise? Time slows, or expands, during the playing of that song. The beat keeps its time, and your internal clock adjusts, changing your time. Thus the power of music and particularly drums throughout history - and the ritual religious role of drums. And also why drummers are such wild sexy icons.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I've been a writer in Hollywood, in San Diego, and in New York. I've written screenplays, plays, novels, videogames, and magazine articles—and now, here I am on a blog.